• [En]
  • [Fr]

Immigration Law in Spain

Immigration Law in Spain

Updated on Monday 18th April 2016

Rate this article

based on 2 reviews


Immigration in Spain has grown substantially over the last quarter of century, especially due to the visa system on which immigration law is based on (exempted from the visa being only EU member states citizens. Most immigrants come to Spain from countries in the Eastern Europe, Africa and Latin America. Our lawyers in Spain can help you in any immigration issues, as well as in offering information about immigration law and its regulations.

Immigration Services and Laws in Spain

In Spain, the Ministry of Interior is responsible for immigration services. Living in this country legally requires complying with the Spanish Immigration Law and all local rules. 
The main law regulating immigration of citizens who are from non-EU states is the Immigration Act 2009. This law contains all applicable requirements for non-EU citizens in Spain, referring to employment, freedom to organize and strike, rights to social security and health care, family regrouping etc. For further information, feel free to ask for our law firm's legal services in Spain.
In order to legally work in Spain, the law states that you need a work permit which can be obtained by following some steps. You must first fulfill the residence-related requirements and then comply with the legislation requests for the opening of your business activity. At the Spanish Consulate, you have to request the work permit and the residence one, submitting a series of documents along with the application.
In case of an unlawful entry or an overstaying of the holder’s visa in Spain, an administrative fine can be applied or even expulsion. The immigrant who is illegally living on Spanish territory can be deported and, if that is not possible within 72 hours, then the immigrant can be jailed in a Foreigner Detention Facility.
The border control is one of the operations that help fight illegal immigration in Spain and includes monitoring arrivals and keeping up to date with the migration policies of the immigrants’ home countries. Spain has enhanced the technology used in such operations and also increased the number of the border control assigned personnel. You can contact our attorneys in Spain, if you need help or further information with regard to immigration laws that applies to your situation. 

Residence Permits and Visas as Part of the Spanish Law

Some non-EU citizens require a visa to enter Spain. If the stay is under 90 days, a tourist visa is necessary (or a Schengen visa which is valid for all countries in this area).
Other types of visas in Spain are:
- the residence visa, which allows the holder to apply for a residency permit;
- the residence card which is for stays longer than three months;
- the Foreign Identity Card, that applies to foreigners wanting to stay for more than six months.
In order to apply for citizenship, foreigners usually have to reside in Spain for ten years, refugees for five years and nationals of countries such as Andorra, Philippines, Portugal, Latin American states etc., only for two. Special cases are those who reside in Spain for a year and marry a national and those who were born abroad and have a Spanish parent.
Our Spanish lawyers help corporate clients, as well as individuals, in resolving their immigration issues. We can provide quality representation in all complicated matters related to the immigration law. If you need to apply for a work permit, residency permit or other types of certificates, our lawyers can guide you through all the procedures.


There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.